Are Turtles Poisonous? 

In this article we’re going to talk about – Are turtles poisonous? 

Should you be careful with them

Or maybe you’re thinking about buying a turtle and want to know if there is any danger associated with them!

So are turtles poisonous?

In short – Turtles aren’t poisonous. They don’t produce any kind of venom or poison, so they’re unable to hurt anybody.

Turtles are very common household pets, but they are also very common in many wild environments.

If you’re considering getting a turtle, you should know that they are often considered dangerous due to their sharp teeth and claws and not due to anything being poisonous

Here’s the thing, there are several species of turtles that are completely harmless to humans.

What exactly is poisonous?

Poisonous means harmful or dangerous.

Poisonous describes something that could harm someone.

For example, poison ivy is poisonous because it contains chemicals that irritate the skin.

Venomous animals like snakes, spiders, scorpions, etc., must bite someone before injecting the venom into their victim.

If they only touch the skin, there would be no way to deliver the poison.

Poisonous animals don’t need to attack someone to spread their venom

. They only need to touch their victims’ skin or another body part to pass along the toxin.

Luckily, turtles aren’t poisonous or venomous.

But that doesn’t mean you can’t get bitten or have problems if a turtle bites you.

Does that mean a turtle bites?

They actually do

Do turtle bites hurt?

Turtle bites have been known to cause severe pain and swelling.

Turtle bites can vary greatly depending on the size and species of the turtle.

A small turtle biting you won’t hurt


Because baby turtles are small, their bites won’t actually hurt you as they don’t have too much power

So it’s not a painful feeling, rather it’s just a discomfort feeling

When they bite you, they usually do so quickly and lightly, but they can still leave behind tiny puncture wounds.

These bites aren’t painful

Turtles bite humans by accident so they won’t just bite you for the sake of it

They don’t hold onto bites like dogs do.

So if you’re walking around outside with a turtle in its enclosure, you’ll probably get bit at least once.

Turtles usually only bite your hands and feet.

Sometimes they bite your toes but it’s rare.

Most often though, they just nip at your finger tips.

Don’t panic.

Just let them go. T

hey won’t hurt you.

Turtles don’t like being handled.

They’re also pretty strong.

So if they decide to bite you, there’s no way to remove their jaws. T

hat means you’ll probably end up with a nasty wound.

Fortunately, these injuries heal quickly.

Turtles bite humans only rarely, but when they do, it can result in serious injury.

Bites usually occur when someone accidentally steps on a turtle or tries to pick it up.

Most bites don’t break the skin, but they can leave behind tiny puncture wounds.

These wounds should be cleaned thoroughly with soap and water, and covered until healed.

But generally speaking, if a small turtle bites you, there are very little chances to get infected by anything.

They just don’t have the power needed to puncture the skin.

Snapping turtles bite harder than any other kind of turtle.

They can inflict serious damage to humans, including broken bones and punctured organs.

Snappers are often mistaken for soft shell turtles, but they are much larger and have sharp teeth.

Snapping turtles have long been considered dangerous due to their powerful jaws and sharp teeth.

They are capable of inflicting serious wounds upon humans.

So what should you do if you have been bitten by a turtle?

Let’s find out in detail

What to do if you’ve been bitten by a turtle?

If you are bit by a small turtle, and there is no blood coming out, and there is no scratch on your hand, you just have to wash your hand.

It would be preferable if you could use some antiseptic gel on your hand, but if you don’t have any at your disposal, some soap and water should be just fine.

If you are bitten and there is blood you should wash and disinfect your hands immediately, and then go to the doctor.

There is a chance that a bacteria could have entered the wound, and that is not something that you want to leave untreated.

What NOT to do when bitten by a turtle

If the turtle bites you and doesn’t want to let go, you don’t want to pull or hit the turtle.

If you hit the turtle it will only apply more pressure to the bite and will stay there for longer.

If you hit the turtle until it loses its life things will only get worse for you, because at that point the jaws are going to apply even more pressure, and the turtle won’t be able to release it.

And in this process, your wounds are only going to get worse.

So as I said, the best thing to do is to peacefully wait until the turtle releases the bite.

Turtles bite humans when they’re feeling threatened, but they usually won’t do it unless provoked.

If a turtle bites you, just leave the area immediately and try to avoid getting bitten again.

Don’t force the animal to release its grip.

Let it relax for at least half an hour before returning.

Related article – Are turtles aggressive?

How You Can Avoid Getting Bitten By a Turtle? (Tips)

Turtles don’t eat with their hands; instead, they pick up their food using their snout.

So don’t put anything into your turtle’s mouth because they can accidentally bite you.

Also, turtles don’t like getting dirty, so try to avoid putting any dirt or mud onto their shells.

Wear shoes that cover your feet completely.

Don’t wear sandals or flip flops.

They’ll expose your toes to injury.

Turtles don’t like being disturbed, but they’ll usually let you pet them if they’re calm.

They won’t bite unless they’re feeling threatened.

Wild turtles can be aggressive towards humans and they can bite if approached closely.

So, stay at least 10 feet away from any wild turtle.

Always handle turtle with care and love

If you do this and you make sure your hand doesn’t go near their mouth, I’m sure you’d be safe from a turtle bite!



Leave a Comment